Installing the Slack app
- The Slack app should only be downloaded to and accessed through a work computer.
- In certain cases, Slack may need to be accessed using a mobile device. Always confirm with your leader first to determine whether accessing Slack is required on a mobile device.
- The Slack app for work computers can be accessed in multiple ways:
- Use Slack via web browser here: https://slack.com/signin
- Download the desktop app here: https://slack.com/download
Sign up for Slack
To be invited into a Slack workspace or Slack channel, your leader must first submit a request. This is done by selecting “Invite people” in the left pane and completing the request form. The request will be sent to admins and notifications will be sent to you once your account is approved or denied.
Alternatively, you may use the Slack sign-in page if you were provided with the name of a Slack Workspace: https://slack.com/signin.
Setting up your username and profile
- Setting up your username:
- One of the first things you’ll be prompted to do after receiving your invitation is to create a username.
- You may be required to follow a certain format for your username. If no specific format is communicated to you, use the part of your 24-7 Intouch email address before the @ symbol.
- Setting up your profile
- Click your workspace name in the top-left.
- Select Profile & account.
- Click Edit Profile. A Workspace directory pane will appear on the right.
- Edit your profile. At a minimum, include First Name, Last Name, What I Do, Profile photo.
- Click Save Changes.
Find and join channels
- Click on the word Channels near the top-left sidebar to open the channel browser.
- Select a listed channel, or type a channel name in the search field.
- Click Join Channel.
Compose and send messages
There are two main ways to start writing new messages in Slack. You can type a message in the message field of any channel, or start a direct message.
- Channel: Within any channel, find and use the text input bar to send messages to those in the channel.
- Direct message: Click Direct Messages in the left pane to find or start a conversation.